Willie Nile is back in Spain to present his tribute to Bob Dylan
Nile will be in Vigo (May 17) and A Coruña (May 18) performing his new album, Positively Bob.
The New York Times called Willie Nile “one of the most gifted singer-songwriters to emerge from the New York scene in years". The artist was born in Buffalo, and discovered in the New York Greenwich Village. He published his first album in 1980, and then he went on a tour with The Who. Nile's songs combine classic rock with poetry and honesty, and they are all included in his eleven studio albums. This rockstar also created his own record label, from which he recorded the magnificent Beautiful Wreck Of The World, his best album according to critics. Currently, Willie Nile starts a new adventure and returns to Spain with his new album, Positively Bob, a tribute to Bob Dylan. The result of this work can be heard live in Spain in his concerts in A Coruña, Vigo, Barcelona, Zaragoza, Valencia, Madrid, Aviles and Santander.
Willie Nile in Barcelona. / Jesús Mendoza Jorge
– What can we expect about your 2018 tour?
– We will have nights full of rock ‘n’ roll with passion and fire and love and good will and hopefully inspiration! I love playing to the audiences in this country because they are passionate and love their rock ‘n’ roll and will give you everything they have if they believe you.
– Why did you choose Bob Dylan to record a tribute album?
– I was asked to be a part of a 75th Bob Dylan Birthday show in New York two years ago, and it was so much fun and the songs are so great that I thought we could have some fun in the studio with them, and we certainly did. The songs are all masterpieces and it was a labor of love.
– What does his music mean to you?
His music meant so much to me when I was young and it still does. He broke down all the walls and opened up a whole new world to songwriting. He is the Shakespeare of Rock ‘N’ Roll and it was and is an honor to play these great songs.
– Which would you say that are the main synergies between your music and Dylan’s?
– I think we both play from the heart and care about what we do. He is the master, I’m still learning.
– Your songs combine poetry, ingenuity, honesty and rock and roll. Which is the secret?
– Following your heart, believing in what you are doing and following your instincts.
– How did you feel about Rolling Stones including your song “She’s So Cold” in their album Emotional Rescue?
– Their song was similar to mine, and it may have influenced their song, but who knows. Many people have asked me about it but I just tell them I love the Stones and appreciate the similarities.
– You created your own label to record Beautiful Wreck Of The World, one of your bests albums, which has been acclaimed by critics. What can you tell us about that experience?
– It was a great experience and felt good to be independent and not have to wait for approval and deal with big corporations anymore. I love that album. It was the beginning of a new chapter in my life.
– What advice would you give to someone who wants to become a rock musician?
– I would just say to trust your instincts and follow your heart. If you believe in what you are doing there’s a chance that others might believe in it to but don’t do it to please others. Do it because you believe in it. @galiciamundiari